Sunday, March 6, 2011

My first serious market! :0)

Hi guys,

I'm sooooooo tired today. We were up very very early  for our first 'real' market. This one is very popular in our home town and it's got a real country feel.

I think I learnt a lot from this market. I sold a painting and lots of bookmarks! They were my most popular item. As well as some hair clips made with the Japanese paper and some pendants (clay, Japanese paper and some of my own prints). I was hoping to sell more and felt a little down but after speaking to some of the other stall holders was told that it was a bit quieter than usual and that I shouldn't be disheartened as this wasn't a good example of what this market is usually like. So we are going to go back for the mother's day market in May (these ones only run once a month) which they said is very very busy. I'm happy with how it went today and enjoyed the experience. I've got some new ideas on what to make next from lots of positive feed back. And look forward to building more stock up for the next one with lots of variety :0)

My very talented cousin Clarey, lent us these 'walls' that her very handy hubby made for her. (she is a handbag designer and has done her fair share of markets.) They came in so handy and were great for displaying my paintings. I felt much more professional with my paintings hanging in the background and they showed up really nicely and would catch peoples eye.

I'm really happy with how they looked on the boards, my bookmarks were so popular I shall make sure that I have lots ready for my next market.

Hubby has been sooooooo supportive of my passion and is very passionate about my work too which makes things so much easier :0)

Thanks hubby :0).

I've got lots of ideas for my next market and how to make it bigger and better :0)

14 comments:

Jenny said...

Your market stall and displays look wonderful Nicola... we are having a stall for the first time at a new local market and are trying to put lots of effort into the display and look of our stall plus of course lots of stock... it is trial and error... hope the Mother's Day market is fabulous for you....

Hugs
Jenny x

Diane said...

Your display looks great! It's so funny, here in the U.S., we call markets--art/craft shows and we have booths instead of stalls. Seeing yours makes me anxious to start mine--they're very fun but unpredictable, and yes, we're the same here--sales aren't what they use to be.

Unknown said...

oh what an amazing day!!!! love the cool display!!!! Congrats!!!!

Magic Love Crow said...

Nicola, you should be very proud of yourself! You had everything very well displayed and had some pretty good sales! Yeh!! Good for you! And, your hubby is adorable ;o)

Kelly Berkey said...

how fun to see all your pretties together!! i'm still not sure i want to get into doing fairs, only because i work full-time and it would take a lot out of me to be gone from my studio. i know lots of people who don't work full time who just love them!
i'll be excited to see how your mother's day one goes.
hugs!

Penny said...

What a great display Nic - it looks very professional - and that's exactly what it is! The walls are fantastic and your painting display at the back is GREAT! Well done. Looking forward to the Mother's Day markets and hopefully we'll be able to come along and visit you while it's on. Oh - and well done to Rick for being a wonderful support to you! xxx

Jess said...

Well done Nicola! It's lovely to see the photos too! Thanks so much for your kind comments. :) xx

Šolanje na domu-Waldorf said...

Congrats on your first market! :) Tha selling booth looks awesome! Sorry you didn't sell as much as you wanted but don't let that get to you. Your work is amazing! :)

Jaime Haney said...

Your booth (market stall) looks great! Which painting did you sell? What a good husband! So fun to see these pictures. These shows are exhausting, aren't they? Great job!

Jaime Haney said...

Hey Nicola, I can't seem to find an email for you anywhere and I cannot reply to your comment on my blog b/c you don't have your email on your profile... haha you are a hard woman to contact! Please send me your email for the Sisterhood of the Traveling Sketch Books... thank you!
Jaime

Lauren said...

Congratulations, your booth looks so great and professional in the photos! That looks like so much fun, I would love to something like that sometime :) I hope you are doing wonderfully! ~Lauren

WrightStuff said...

Exciting stuff Nicola - this is just the beginning!!

Julia Christie said...

Ok first of all, how cute are you two! And I LOVE your bookmarks! The paintings do show up really well on this display, and the whole booth looked wonderful! Don't give up on this, it takes a bit (i've heard) to build up a following at these things, but you are doing it!

Really excited for you!

Smiles

MONZIE AKA EUQINOM7 said...

WOW i love the art work its really beautiful ... i wish i could draw!! and i really love the fact that your hubby is so supportive keep up the good work!!! ill be following.

http://idiosyncrasy-mad-as-a-hatter.blogspot.com/

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails