Sunday, May 29, 2011

Sunday Sketches My tribute to my Great Grandmother :0)

Hi guys, well after feeling very uninspired I have finally got my mojo back and decided to give myself some new challenges. This week I wanted to work on a painting of my Great Grandmother. Agnes Margaret (she preferred to be called Margaret) was born August 27 1899! She was a very beautiful young girl with stunning bright blue eyes and blondy brown wavy hair. Margaret was a volunteer nurse in World War I. She lived most of her life in a beautiful big house on the coast in South Wales and loved to swim in the ocean and walk her dogs every day. :0) I remember talking to my gran about when she was a kid and the things she liked to do.
The painting I have done this weekend is from a photograph. I loved the sepia colour but wanted to keep the contrast of those beautiful blue eyes :0) I would like to do another one of her in her nurses uniform.
 This is my Great Gran on her Wedding day.
 This is the photograph that I chose to paint.


It's not a perfect likeness I know but I do like the tones I have used and the way the face blends with the back ground. I am thinking of using this in a mixed media piece and doing more with her but I'll have a think about that! :0)

27 comments:

Steve said...

Awesome, loved seeing the photos of gran and loved the drawing. Well done sibling :-)

Heather said...

I agree, I Love the tones you have used for her. Glad yougot your mojo back! I knew you would! Great job on grandma! xo

Jehanne's doodles said...

Oh this is great. It has turned out fantastic!

Sinderella's Studio said...

ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE...Yes, very beautiful woman!
cheers, dana

Christine said...

she sure was beautiful, you've done a great job with recreating her likeness.

WrightStuff said...

Such a great idea to use these pictures as inspiration. I'm sure she would be very proud. She's clearly helping you fill your well again!

Joni Nickrent said...

Beautiful painting and wonderful tribute to your Grandma!

Virtual Boy said...

Wow, beautiful work! Love that you chose vintage'y colors to work with, it looks awesome!

Unknown said...

oh wow Nicola....knowing you for a while now I love seeing your work as it progresses...amazing ....Have a wonderful Sunday!!!

Morph Waffle said...

Beautiful tribute to your grandma! Love the old pictures, wonderful post!

Julia Christie said...

What a special tribute! You are back!!!! I love to see you try new things and this is a perfect example of why we should all push ourselves as artists - such beautiful results!!

smiles

Debbie said...

What a sweet tribute to your Grandmother! This is an awesome sketch and painting. Nice job!!

Michelle said...

I'm so impressed! I'm a total dunce when it comes to faces :)

Alexandra MacVean said...

Oh my gosh, seriously impressive, Nicola. Wow. Now THIS has to be your best and really shows off your skill/technique in drawing faces. Nice job. :)

Kristin Dudish said...

Wonderful - I love the way her beautiful blue eyes contrast to the warm sepia tones... It is a fabulous tribute!

xo
Kristin

Magic Love Crow said...

Nicola, your great grandma was a beautiful person! Both inside and out! I love the painting you did! It's perfect! Done with so much love ;o) Have a wonderful day!

Tammie Lee said...

oh how wonderful she is, both photo and your art. Portraits are so personal, my sense is that we get to know the person in an intimate way when we do them. I have only done a couple.

Sabina said...

I agree--keeping the blue in her eyes was a nice touch. But I love that you kept the rest looking like a sepia photo and didn't get too literal.

EVA said...

Beautiful painting and beautiful great gran! She looks like she has secrets.

Linda E. Pruitt said...

What a lovely thing to do! How honoring to your great grandmother and your family! I love how it turned out!

artbrat said...

I love how you were able to portray the vintage aspect of the photo through your paint. Great job!

Kathy said...

Your Gran is beautiful.. love the color in the painting.. glad you are getting your mojo back...isn't it a loverly feeling?

lissa said...

she's gorgeous! her eyes really stands out and brought that out in the painting.

have a lovely day.

Sunshineshelle said...

She is stunning & your painting gorgeous :)

KateHolloman said...

Hi Nicola, I like your blog so much! Oh and I checked out your mom's blog too - wow, she has real talent! I left her some comments too.
Have a great day! :)

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful woman, and such a lovely progression from photo/sketch and painting. Good job!

Kristin said...

Love your mojo! xoxo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails