Saturday, June 2, 2012

Paint Party Friday and Sunday sketches

Hi everyone, well I finally started my much anticipated 'Artist in Residence' position at the local Primary school this week.

I started the massive mural and I did a couple of sessions with the oldest kids. I really really really enjoyed both. It was so nice to be able to encourage and inspire some young minds. I came to realise that not every child has the love of art that myself and my children do and I even found a couple of children who found the experience of creating art very daunting and stressful. So my goal for them is to help them gain the courage to give it a go. It doesn't come easy to everyone so that was something I learned very quickly. I hope that I can help make art time a fun experience for those who are a bit overwhelmed by it.

I did find a few students who I could see love to draw so that was exciting to see too :0) I really enjoyed interacting with the students so that was fun! :0)

As for my mural, it is HUGE I've not worked on such a big scale before but I think it's going to look really really awesome. Here is an early work in progress shot:
I'm really happy with the grass once I added the highlights it really made it pop! I don't know if you can see in the background but I have sketched up some hills a rainbow and a smiley sun :0) Back in on Monday to work on both projects.

One other thing I thought I'd show you this week is this lady I painted yesterday in oils, I think I want to add more shading in her face but need her to dry a little bit first!

I think she needs more depth in her face!

I'm going to try my best to visit you all this weekend as I want to see what you have all been up to!


19 comments:

Mary C. Nasser said...

Love the tree mural so far!
What an excellent idea!
Looking forward to hearing more about your residency.
♥♥♥
Happy PPF!!
Mary
Mixed-Media Map Art

Giggles said...

Great mural, I love the grass too!! I wonder if some of the kids are perfectionist and have trouble letting go enough to be creative? When my daughter was young she didn't want to do anything that wasn't perfect!! Happy ppf!

Hugs Giggles

GlorV1 said...

This is going to be a great mural. Love your lady as well. Nice job.
HP PF!

GlorV1 said...

This is going to be a great mural. Love your lady as well. Nice job.
HP PF!

Netty said...

Loving your fun mural and enjoyed reading your post about your residency. Terrific lady painting. Happy PPF, Annette x

minnemie said...

I look forward to look over your mural as it progresses - please keep sharing! Your ady is lovely. I like all the colors you worked into her hair.. and may I just say that I wish I had such a cute nose!

Kristin said...

Oils!!! Ooooh, the colors are so bold and beautiful! AND yay! I would so love that job too - you WILL inspire the others who are intimidated by art and it looks like you will all create an awesome mural in the process.
LOVELY to catch up with you - and I LOVE your new girl! xoxo

EVA said...

The mural is looking great!

And your lady is lovely. Sounds like you are having a wonderful time at the school so far.

Abela said...

The girl looks great already... and the mural will wait, but seems to go in the right direction. Saludos

Magic Love Crow said...

The mural is looking fantastic! And, I love the way the girl is looking over her shoulder in the painting ;o) Well done! Have a great weekend ;o)

Tracey FK said...

wow you did that whole painting in oils in a day...impressive... and I am sure the kids will love being part of the mural... I did one years ago and it was a fab experience...xx

Heather said...

oh yes i love your mural - the grass is awesome! I love the whimsy it holds!
pretty painting of the woman, too!
enjoy your day!
xo

Debbie said...

yes, the grass really does pop! nice work! I like your lady too. i've been working with oils lately too!

wednesday said...

Love the mural so far. I'll bet working with those kids will be a blast.

Alexandra MacVean said...

Lots of fun, wonderful projects going on, Nicola! :) Your mural is looking AMAzing! Can't wait to see the finished project. And your oil gal is lovely, too!

WrightStuff said...

Ooh what lovely fun to paint a mural - must be great working with the kids and seeing them create with your coaching.

Molly said...

It's really coming together wonderfully. Can't wait to see it finished!

Jehanne's doodles said...

I like how the tree is going and your lady looks lovely as she is. It would be interesting if you do play with her some more and to see the result.

Lynn Cohen said...

Enjoy your residency. Will be fun to see this mural grow and come to full life.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails