Thursday, February 24, 2011

Some work in progress!

I had a very productive day today and finally after about 18months of procrastination, opened my oil paints. I've been wanting to try them for a while but really didn't know where to start. But I have been inspired by my gorgeous blog friend Kelly Berkey's work as she recently started using oils so I thought I would give my second canvas a go. We both seem to be experimenting with flowers at the moment :0) This is from the sketch I did for Sunday Sketches a few days ago.

 I painted my canvas with black acrylic paint and sketched the outline of the painting on top
 I didn't really have a plan or know how different the oils would feel to the acrylics.
 This is as far as I got with the painting today. I felt I had to stop and wait for the paint to dry a bit. I'm not sure what else I'm going to do with this but I know it needs something more. I want to outline the leaves a bit and include more detail. I really love acrylics and find them so user friendly but I have to say the oils are so bright and vibrant. The only thing that bothers me is the drying time, but it might not be such a bad thing as I think I tend to rush my paintings and it might do me good to work on this over a longer period of time.

I'd love to know what everyone else's thoughts on oils are and if you might have any tips for me. I shall post up more pics as I work on it :0)

Lastly I managed to bake these pendants up while I was painting today, I have since varnished them which makes the colour really pop. I drew a couple of designs on some of them too :0)

Hope you're all having a great week :0)

3 comments:

Magic Love Crow said...

Nicola, you've been a busy girl!! Beautiful painting! I have never used oils. The pendants look really nice!!!

Shirley said...

Beautiful Nicola! I think the painting is lovely! Neat that you're trying your hand at oils!! Always great to see what you've been up to..really great pendants!!

Kaili Ittensohn said...

Nicola, great work! I have tried oils but found that I couldn't get past the smell and mess. Though I don't think its for me, I truly love a beautiful oil painting.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails